According to the art of acting, there are 9 ras i.e. 9 essence of acting which revolves around this creative as well as glamorous art. For every person who dreams to become an actor, these are the 9 divine forms to establish himself or herself as a pure actor. No acting class in the globe teaches these 9 forms of arts but as a writer as well as a creative director, I would like to share these 9 forms of expressions with you.
The nine forms of acting are:-
1) SURPRISE: This is the first form of expression. It can be expressed as a surprise or shock. When you are given the script where you have to perform a scene where you should be surprised, amazed or shock it should be like the picture below us…
The above picture clearly shows the expression of surprise, shock or amazed over something. It is necessary to deliver this form of expression according to the script demand.
2) FEAR: This is the second form of expression where you have to show fear on your face as well as your expressions. It is also known as the 2nd ras or essence. Have a look at the below scene:-
Fear is mostly used in suspense or horror movies. It is also an important ingredient of the action movies.
Moreover, if a lover his cheating his girlfriend or her boyfriend this is to be performed constantly. This essence is to be performed from the bottom of the heart with full emotions which should be justified properly.
3) KINDNESS OR COMPASSION: This form of expression is used in almost every movie you come across. Whether you perform on theatre, television or any movie/ documentary…This essence is must for every artist. A human being is void without emotions of compassion. Have a look in the below picture where the person is a soldier but the audience expects a soldier to even have kindness or compassion
In the world of cinema, there is a saying that a human being being compassion or kindness is close to a beast…Audience likes hero not a beast…Remember, this important form of expression to be a perfectionist…
4) ANGER: This fourth form of expression is the very important tool in the field of acting. Every a cool person can face anger where certain circumstances happened in his life which changed his best scenario into the fear. Please analyze the below picture where a rich magnate in the telecom sector became a victim of a disease called “Short term memory loss” & lost control of his emotions. He was every time in anger. This movie is the best movie ever to show the emotions & anger of a tense person who is struggling with his daily life. It is a Bollywood movie titled as “Ghajini”
You can clearly observe the expressions of anger on the face of the protagonist. This makes the audience realize the depth & angst of the character
5) DEVOTION: Even a devil use to pray to his own God of demons. Similarly, a human does the same. This form of art is essential even if you are playing the role of an atheist in a movie.
Here, the protagonists have concealed themselves as conners to dupe the people for few bucks.
However, the expressions of a priest are perfect in this scene.
6) HATE: This form of expression can be expressed as hate, jealousy or any other meaning which shows your bitterness towards a person or even a group of people
Here, the protagonist has hatred against the whole world & they didn’t help him when he was struggling until he became a rock-star.
The movie had bit traces of our own Rock-star Jim Morrisa. It was the perfect expression of hatred which can be noticed in this movie. I would even refer that to catch this essence of hatred you should watch this movie once.
MOVIE NAME: ROCKSTAR (2011)
DIRECTED BY: IMTIAZ ALI
7) LOVE: Well, every human being on this earth is hungry for love. This is the basic want of every person irrespective of age or gender.
Perfect love story of a poor guy & rich brat on a ship which sank
Family rivalry – A modern style of Romeo & Juliet among Rajput clans
Audience loves romantic movies compared to any other genre because they like to find the traces which have occurred or are yet to occur in their life.
8) BRAVERY: This is in fact considered an asset of a human being. When you are in such a condition where a horde of robbers or goons have gathered you or you are in a war like situation, you have to win that with your valor or bravery. Have a study about that in the below image:
The protagonist is in a cross-country war in a losing position but yet his bravery wins
The female protagonist doesn’t give up even she is chased by her rival & displays her bravery
Audience likes their protagonists to perform stunts & show their bravery as well as valor.
This 8th form of art or expression is very essential to win audience’s hearts
9) HAPPINESS: There is a proverb that “LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE”. Well, it is also the foundation of comedy films & the world have delivered geniuses of that in Hollywood & Bollywood.
Can you remember how may times you giggled on his expressions???
He is one of the renowned stars of comedy
More you make the people laugh, you entertain them & create a brand in their mind because you release their tension & stress.
This is the last form of essence which is a must for every artist. Although every actor has his own forte according to me that should be thoroughly aware of these 9 forms of expressions. These are not just the 9 forms but they are the 9 divine weapons bestowed by the Goddess of Art – Goddess Saraswati…
So here we would finish with today’s session & very soon we would come in the next chapter which would concentrate on the throw, pitch, expressions, voice & other emotions essential for an artist.
Till then have a happy learning experience because when your aspirations are blend with fun you sparkle more than before.